Life at Shaky K

Ramblings on knitting, living in the desert, family and our critters here at Shaky K

Friday, August 10, 2007

Bad blogger - no cookie


Where HAS this summer went? The days have all seemed to melt into one another and disappeared already. Seems like yesterday that it was starting to warm up, and here it is almost mid August already.

Our summer's been bassackwards weatherwise to the usual pattern of HOT, HOT, HOT to HOT monsoon with humidity by August. So far it's been humid all summer and now that we SHOULD be in monsoon season, the humidity has dropped dramatically! Still way too high for me to tolerate being out in it for more than a few minutes, but it's not as bad as what it's been in the past. Will be sooo glad to see the temps drop into a range that I can stand to knit things other than lace and socks!!!!! While I DO love both, it gets a bit monotonous after awhile.

Finally after a whole bunch of lace, I've got my sock mojo back (I "think"!). I'm almost to the heel flap on the first sock of my 6th pair since last Thursday.

First up was the J-knits that youngest son brought me from Texas at the end of spring when he was there for his 4th year classes. Started out with a pair of Monkeys for myself. Then I moved on to a pair for one of our granddaughters. Sheesh! Can't find the link to the original pattern for the Blueberry Waffle socks, but that's the stitch I used. EASY stitch! Just knit two rows and then work a k2,p2 rib for two rows. Finished off that skein with a dress for her Barbie to match. That was a plain tube of 40 sts to the waist, k1,p1 rib for about an inch and back to stockinette for another inch and bind off.

Moved on and made myself another pair from a skein of Merino Sock! from Lisa Souza in the "Can't Elope" colorway. Also made another granddaughter a pair out of the leftovers. Used the same stitch on those that I used on a pair for my Sockapalooza pal (dag nab it! Plum forgot that THOSE were the first socks I did when I set the lace aside!). NEED to get some more pics taken this morning and uploaded on flickr. I'll get those and the current Sasquatch pair I'm working on this morning. I thought hubster had big feet, but the grandson the current pair are for has a pair on him that are even bigger yet!

Current pair are also the same stitch from the Sockapalooza pair and the granddaughter's pair. I've got a little more experimenting to do yet and then I'll get it written up and sent to some testers first and then upload that pattern here. So far, I'm really liking it in anything I've used the stitch in. I've used Cherry Tree Hill, Lisa Souza's and the current pair is Jitterbug from Colinette. Seems to kinda break up pooling and has a feel of a thermal texture to it. Hope when it's uploaded y'all like it as much as I have so far. It will be available in sizes to fit from infants to those men with Sasquatch feet like hubster's and our grandson's.

I know as soon as I save and upload this a dozen and one things are going to pop into my head that I SHOULD have added, but the mind is fading on me this morning. As if all the thoughts running around my head on what I want to do with this sock pattern aren't enough, there's some proposals and design submissions that I NEED to get completed and sent before the deadlines jump up and smack me upside the head!!

Til next time......

ps.... if you have time for a quick knit (say within a week?) and would be interested in testing this sock pattern let me know. email me at : sandy at sandysays dot net (replace the "at" and "dot" with "@" and ".") and please put "sock testing" in the subject line. I'll have mail filtered into a special folder using the subject line as the filter. Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

That Barbie dress is a great idea to use up the last bit of sock yarn. Stay cool in all that heat - it's been super humid here.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

The socks and the barbie dress look so great. I am glad you got your sock mojo back! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home